Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Briga, Briga, Brigadeiro



You know how there are those certain birthday traditions that you just CANNOT do without? Like a special breakfast, one-on-one time with a loved one, or a cake-smashing-in-the-face at your birthday party
WORST TRADITION EVER...

Well one of those special traditions in Brazil is the making of Brigadeiro (pronounced brie-gah-day-roo).

Brigadeiro is a small gooey chocolate treat with a texture similar to a caramel. It's usually made for children's birthdays but I made these for my brother's birthday yesterday...and he's 40. It's really delicious and fairly easy to make. Easy enough though that my friends and I will make it and eat it straight from a plate instead of rolling it into balls...though I'm pretty sure that has to do more with laziness....hmmm.

Though traditionally a birthday snack, Brigadeiro is perf for Valentines Day and stuff.....if you're into love, and... things.

Here's what you'll need:

  • about 1/2 tbsp of butter. I've used both salted and unsalted and it doesn't seem to make that big a difference.
  • 3 tbsp UNSWEETENED cocoa powder. I used dark cocoa.  
  • 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (leche moça or la lechera)
  • chocolate sprinkles 
  • mini cake liners
  • a wooden spoon. I don't really know if it makes a difference, I was just always told to use a wooden spoon.
*note for the Brigadeiro Nazis out there : I know some people will add about a tablespoon of water to their cocoa then add the mixture to the pot, but I find that the water makes the "batter" too runny and you won't be able to get perfect little balls at the end.  Plus it takes way too long to try to cook off the water.  


Making your Brigadeiro:

 To begin heat a sauce pan (preferably non stick)on medium low heat and add you butter.  Once the butter is melted, add the can of milk and immediately begin to stir. 

After about a minute, add your cocoa powder to the mixture and stir until completely combined, then guess what???!!!!
.....stir some more.....

It is critical that you continually stir the mixture on medium low heat making sure to get the sides and corners of the pan, otherwise you WILL BURN YOUR BRIGADEIROS!!!!

Continue stirring for about 15 minute or until the mixture becomes very thick. I can usually tell when it is finished because I take a scoop of the Briga and hold my spoon upside down. It should cling to the spoon for a bit before falling in an ooey glob thing, back into the pan.

Next you are going to pour/scrape/scoop the Briga onto a plate and spread it out a little so that it can cool; place in the refrigerator for about 2-3 hours.

After cooling is complete you will notice that the Birga is very firm like taffy
Coat your hands and a dining spoon with a bit of butter. 

Using your spoon, scoop a small amount of the Briga and roll it onto a ball between your hands, then roll in chocolate sprinkles and place in cake liners. Refrigerate for about an hour.

That's all.

Enjoy this brazilian treat with your family from mine to yours!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I have made these for my son and husband's birthday, I think you may have created a new birthday tradition for our family :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...