Monday, November 4, 2013

Música Monday: Alicia Keys Songs in A Minor


Happy Monday friends!

The weekend may be gone but there is still every reason to bump them jams.

This Monday, we are taking it back to the year 2000 baby!

This artist is seriously one of my favorites.
I was absolutely obsessed with her first three albums and I'm pretty sure I know every word to every song, and can sing the songs in sequence of the actual album.


This week's Música Monday is dedicated to Alicia Keys' Songs in A Minor

Forreals...This album was on repeat for like....uh...ever...and still.

Personally I haven't been a fan of Alicia's most recent albums. The vocals are strained and feel..well...disingenuous?  Or maybe I'm just too nostalgic for the vocals and stylings of the original Alicia I fell in love with.


But as far as Songs in A Minor goes...it is pure R&B/hip-hop/soul perfection.

Some of my favorite tracks include the poetic "Caged Bird" inspired by Maya Angelou's poem "I know why the caged bird sings."

A Prince cover, if done well, will always win me over. Alicia's version of "How come you don't call me" has that angsty, sexy, soul, that really brought Alicia into the spotlight.

"Jane Doe," "A woman's worth," "Never felt this way" and "Girlfriend" give a classic pop-R&B vibe and they are just really fun to sang... no not sing, SANG!!!! 

Writing this post really re-ignited my fire for this album and brought back a ton of good memories.

One can only hope that Alicia Key's will get back to her roots and gives this sound a new life!

Take a Listen for yourself!

May a little dose of music brighten your Monday and boost your week!

Ttyl,
Jeshua 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...